Friday, December 15, 2017

'वाटते सानुली' - English Translation

Translation of Marathi poem 'वाटते सानुली' by दामोदर अच्युत कारे
I like  this poem (from  my childhood textbook ) and tried to translate it with a wish to convey the meaning of this beautiful poem to those who do not know Marathi language. Please forgive for any distortion of meaning.


वाटते सानुली
 - दामोदर अच्युत कारे
A small breeze
वाटते सानुली मंद झुळुक मी व्हावे
घेईल ओढ मन तिकडे स्वैर झुकावे
I feel that I should become a small breeze
and stroll any where freely as I feel like
कधी बाजारी कधी नदीच्या काठी
राईत कधी वा पडक्या वाड्यापाठी

हळु थबकत जावे कधी कानोसा घेत
कधी रमत गमत वा कधी भरारी थेट
In the market place or on the bank of river,
In the bushes or backside of an old house

Sometimes move with pauses, or listening to messages
Moving slowly with free will or dashing fast somewhere
लावून अंगुली कलिकेला हळुवार
ती फुलून बघे तो व्हावे पार पसार

परि जाता जाता सुगंध संगे न्यावा
तो दिशादिशांतुनी फिरता उधळुनी द्यावा
Give a gentle touch to flower bud
and run away when the flower blooms and sees

But while going
carry the scent and spread it in every direction
गाण्याची चुकलीमुकली गोड लकेर
झुळ्झुळ झर्‍याची पसरावी चौफेर

शेतात पाचुच्या, निळ्या नदीवर शांत
खुलवीत मखमली तरंग जावे गात
Carry a lost sweet tune of a song
or the music of spring  to spread all over

Move over the green fields and  river with cool blue water
and create small soft waves like a song
वेळूच्या कुंजी वाजवुनी अलगूज
कणसांच्या कानी सांगावे हितगूज

शिंपावी डोही फुले बकुळीची सारी
गाळुनी जांभळे पिकली भुळभुळ तीरी
Create a musical sound in the bamboo bushes
and speak in hushed low voice at corn ears

Toss Bakul flowers on the suface of smll lake
and throw down the ripe cherries(Jambhul fruits) on the bank
दिनभरी राबुनी दबला दिसता कोणी
टवटवी मुखावर आणावी बिलगोनी

स्वच्छंद अशा या करुनी नाना मौजा
घ्यावया विसावा यावे मी तिन्हीसांजा
If somebody is seen tired by day's work
Make him fresh by brushing on his face

After doing so many such playful deeds
Come for taking rest in the evening

12 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed this poem long before fortyfive years. I write a biogrphical series in Saraswat Mitra, a monthly publishing from Ratnagiri, presently working with Damodar Achyut Kare's chapter for the month of August. I found your blog very useful. Thank you. Rajendraprasad S. Masurkar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou sir. Your translation was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really very helpful for me thanks a lot man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only hindu people can know that how much it was helpful

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a life savouir today my marathi exam is there I am not having my translation .. you saved me from my mom ...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much sir it Helped me for my exam😊

    ReplyDelete