Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Visit to my childhood hometown Satara

While returning from Nasik, I visited Satara for one day where my maternal sister Kusumtai ( Named Sushila in Rahalkar family) lives. Kusum is daughter of my eldest aunt Akka and much older than me. We could revise our childhood memories hen I used to go in summer vacation to their village Dhavadashi near Satara.
Nana Godbole , Teacher, Dhavadashi
Temple Ref: http://tinyurl.com/kjwczuc

Her father Nana Godbole was teacher in school and very religious and hardliner in nature.  He used to teach the children in that village even at night and the children were coming to stay in the school to listen to his stories. there was a small library by Sane Guruji's name and I remember reading the books by sitting at the Brahmendra swami temple nearby.

After marriage Kusum became Sou Sushila Rahalkar. Her husband Shri. Baba Rahalkar adopted  business as career leaving his service from LIC and opened a grocery shop in Shanivar peth at Satara. He developed that business and the shop became famous in the area. Kusum also helped him by preparing many household food products with the help of women workers.

The shop is still managed by her two sons, Shri and Suhas both married and staying together as joint family. Both the sons of Shri got married and stay in Pune.


The snapshots  taken during my visit show  Kusum with families of  Shri and Suhas staying in Satara.


Godbole family had two daughters Kusum and Mangala and one son Narsinha (Bhargav based on Bhargavram temple in Dhavadashi). Bhargav who was about 3/4 years younger than me was very clever from childhood and good orator. He was trained by his father with religious discipline.  He was working as sub editor of Tarun Bharat and later serving as most efficient officer in LIC. However after marriage, he did not take care of his health and  expired at an early age. His  photo after marriage is given below.

Mangala, younger sister of Kusum got married to Nana Rahalkar  and had three daughters expired due to heart failure some years back. I met her daughter Shilpa Joshi who is staying in Satara.

Besides dwelling in history of Rahalkar families, I had an opportunity to revisit my childhood residence near Panchpala houd (Tank with five parts). My grand father ( fathers father stayed in Jakatwadi a village near satara and was working in collector office. He purchased a house in Mangalwar peth.

My father after marriage stayed there for 3/4 years and then shifted to rented house owned by Phanasalkar near Panchpala houd. My primary and secondary school education was with residence as 181 Somawar Peth, Satara one bedroom house in chawl facing the tank.

After SSC, we got opportunity to stay in two storied house of Phanasalkar as the owner lady mai went to stay in Pune with her son. Below you can see the house and view of our house from Rajwada side.





My primary school was near Vithobacha nal where now Shahu stadium is errected. Shilpa Joshi stays nearby. So I could refresh my memories of the location.

( Note - Many of the above photos are old snapshots and are taken from old album from Rahalkar families )


1 comment:

  1. It is in point of fact a great and useful piece of information. I aam happy that you shared ths helpful
    info with us. Please stay us informed llike this.
    Thank yyou ffor sharing.

    ReplyDelete